Medical Definition of gluteal artery
: either of two branches of the internal iliac artery that supply the gluteal region:
a : the largest branch of the internal iliac artery that sends branches especially to the gluteal muscles
— called also superior gluteal artery
b : a branch that is distributed especially to the buttocks and the backs of the thighs
— called also inferior gluteal artery
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?