Medical Definition of galactitol
: a white faintly sweet alcohol C6H14O6 that occurs in various plants especially of the snapdragon family (Scrophulariaceae), is formed from galactose by reduction in some living tissues, and accumulates in urine and various tissues (as the lens of the eye) in individuals deficient in certain enzymes (as galactokinase)
— called also dulcitol
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game