Medical Definition of formazan
: a hypothetical hydrazone CH4N4 related to formic acid and known only in the form of intensely colored derivatives of which some are obtained from colorless compounds by the reducing action of living tissues and serve as indicators of viability by color production also : any of these derivatives
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?