Medical Definition of foramen lacerum
: an irregular aperture on the lower surface of the skull bounded by parts of the temporal, sphenoid, and occipital bones that is filled with fibrocartilage, gives passage to several vessels (as emissary veins), and has the internal carotid artery running above its upper surface after exiting the carotid canal
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game