feline infectious anemianoun
Medical Definition of feline infectious anemia
: a contagious disease of cats characterized by weakness, lethargy, loss of appetite, and hemolytic anemia and caused by infection of red blood cells by parasitic bacteria of the genus Mycoplasma (M. haemofelis)
Note: Feline infectious anemia was formerly thought to be caused by rickettsial bacteria of the genus Haemobartonella, and is sometimes still called haemobartonellosis.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game