fatal familial insomnianoun
Medical Definition of fatal familial insomnia
: a rare fatal prion disease that is inherited as an autosomal dominant trait, that is marked by progressive neurodegenerative changes especially in the thalamus, and that tends to follow a clinical course exhibiting disturbances of the sleep cycle, intractable insomnia, motor disturbances (as ataxia and myoclonus), disturbances in autonomic nervous system functioning, dementia, coma, and death
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game