medical Definition of false-positive
- a false-positive pregnancy test
- … one must bear in mind the cost of needless medical procedures generated by the huge number of false-positive mammograms …
- —David Plotkin, The Atlantic Monthly, June 1996
- Another problem with the test … is that it also produces a number of false positives; that is, a number of neonates with elevated trypsin levels the first time they are tested are found not to have elevated levels on the second test.
- —The Journal of the American Medical Association, 9 Nov. 1984