false vocal cordsnoun plural
Medical Definition of false vocal cords
: the upper pair of vocal cords each of which encloses a vestibular ligament, extends from one side of the thyroid cartilage in front to the arytenoid cartilage on the same side of the larynx in back, and is not directly concerned with speech production
— called also superior vocal cords, ventricular folds, vestibular folds
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game