Medical Definition of eponychium
1 : the thickened layer of epidermal tissue over the developing fetal fingernail or toenail that disappears before birth except over the base of the nail
2 : the distal margin of the superficial layer of a proximal nail fold that is a horny band of epidermis extending over the base of a nail : cuticle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game