Medical Definition of epidemic pleurodynia
: an acute epidemic form of pleurisy characterized by sudden onset with fever, headache, and acute diaphragmatic pain and caused by various Coxsackieviruses (especially serotypes of species Human enterovirus B)
— called also Bornholm disease, devil's-grip
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?