variants: or electric knife
Medical Definition of electric scalpel
: a needlelike surgical instrument using high-frequency oscillations in the form of a tiny electric arc at the point of cutting through or cutting away tissue and at the same time sterilizing the edges of the wound and sealing cut blood vessels Garrido makes the initial chest incision, using an electric scalpel that singes the flesh as it cuts—much as Western heroes cauterized their bullet wounds with branding irons.— Charles R. Morris, The Surgeons: Life and Death in a Top Heart Center, 2007
— called also acusector, radio knife
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?