disseminated intravascular coagulationnoun
Medical Definition of disseminated intravascular coagulation
: an acute or chronic thrombotic and hemorrhagic disorder that arises secondary to various disease states (as acute promyelocytic leukemia, abruptio placentae, or major trauma) and is marked by uncontrolled systemic coagulation resulting in thrombosis which in acute cases typically leads to generalized bleeding due to depletion of clotting factors and increased fibrinolysis —abbreviation DIC
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?