diarrheal shellfish poisoningnoun
variants: also diarrheic shellfish poisoning or diarrhetic shellfish poisoning
Medical Definition of diarrheal shellfish poisoning
: shellfish poisoning that is characterized by diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain and is caused by toxins produced by some dinoflagellates (as of the genera Dinophysis and Prorocentrum) and consumed in contaminated shellfish
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game