Medical Definition of contrast medium
: a substance (as a solution of iodine or suspension of barium sulfate) comparatively opaque to X-rays that is introduced into the body (as by injection or swallowing) to contrast an internal part (as the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, or blood vessels) with its surrounding tissue in radiographic visualization
— called also contrast agent, contrast material
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game