Medical Definition of conium
1a capitalized : a genus of poisonous herbs (family Umbelliferae) that have spotted stems, large divided leaves and white flowers and that include the poison hemlock
b : a plant of the genus Conium
2 : the dried full-grown but unripe fruit of the poison hemlock containing coniine and its methyl derivative and used as a narcotic and sedative
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game