Medical Definition of communicating artery
: any of three arteries in the brain that form parts of the circle of Willis:
a : one connecting the anterior cerebral arteries
— called also anterior communicating artery
b : either of two arteries that occur one on each side of the circle of Willis and connect an internal carotid artery with a posterior cerebral artery
— called also posterior communicating artery
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game