Medical Definition of coactivator
: a protein or protein complex that activates genetic transcription usually by binding to a transcription factor Gene-regulatory proteins that do not themselves bind DNA but assemble on DNA-bound gene regulatory proteins are often termed coactivators or corepressors, depending on their effect on transcription initiation.— Bruce Alberts et al., Molecular Biology of the Cell, 2002
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game