Medical Definition of coactivator
: a protein or protein complex that activates genetic transcription usually by binding to a transcription factor Gene-regulatory proteins that do not themselves bind DNA but assemble on DNA-bound gene regulatory proteins are often termed coactivators or corepressors, depending on their effect on transcription initiation.— Bruce Alberts et al., Molecular Biology of the Cell, 2002
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game