variants: or cleidocranial dysostosis
Medical Definition of cleidocranial dysplasia
: a rare congenital condition characterized especially by partial or complete absence of the clavicles, defective ossification of the skull, and faulty occlusion due to missing, misplaced, or extra teeth Characteristics of cleidocranial dysplasia are alveolar bone abnormalities, impaired dental exfoliation, supernumerary teeth, and lack of cementum in roots.— Bodo Grimbacher et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 4 Mar. 1999
Note: Cleidocranial dysplasia is typically inherited as an autosomal dominant trait requiring that one parent pass on a copy of the defective gene on a chromosome other than a sex chromosome.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game