Medical Definition of citronella oil
: a yellowish essential oil with a lemony odor obtained from either of two grasses and used especially as an insect repellent:
a : an oil from citronella grass containing chiefly geraniol
b : an oil from a related grass (Cymbopogon winterianus) containing citronellal, citronellol, and geraniol
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?