Medical Definition of cinacalcet
: a drug C22H22F3NHCl that is administered orally to treat hyperparathyroidism in patients with chronic kidney failure undergoing dialysis and to treat certain types of hypercalcemia (as that associated with parathyroid carcinoma)
Note: Cinacalcet increases the sensitivity of receptor cells of the parathyroid gland to extracellular calcium causing a decrease in parathyroid hormone secretion. Cinacalcet is marketed under the trademark Sensipar.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game