Medical Definition of cinacalcet
: a drug C22H22F3NHCl that is administered orally to treat hyperparathyroidism in patients with chronic kidney failure undergoing dialysis and to treat certain types of hypercalcemia (as that associated with parathyroid carcinoma)
Note: Cinacalcet increases the sensitivity of receptor cells of the parathyroid gland to extracellular calcium causing a decrease in parathyroid hormone secretion. Cinacalcet is marketed under the trademark Sensipar.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game