Medical Definition of chenodeoxycholic acid
: a bile acid C24H40O4 that is usually found conjugated with glycine or taurine in various vertebrates (as hens, geese, hogs, and bears) including humans, that facilitates fat absorption and cholesterol excretion, and that is used to dissolve gallstones which are not calcified
Note: Chenodeoxycholic acid is often called chenodiol when it is used as a drug to dissolve gallstones.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game