chemoreceptor trigger zonenoun
Medical Definition of chemoreceptor trigger zone
: an area in or near the area postrema of the brain with receptors that stimulate the reticular formation to induce vomiting … another part of the brain called the chemoreceptor trigger zone is constantly sampling the blood supply for nasty toxins as well. — The San Diego Union-Tribune, 17 Mar. 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?