Medical Definition of chemical castration
: the administration of a drug (such as medroxyprogesterone acetate) to bring about a marked reduction in the body's production of androgens and especially testosterone
Note: Chemical castration may be used to reduce the sexual urges of sex offenders (such as pedophiles) and in the treatment of prostate cancer, where it is typically called androgen deprivation therapy.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game