Medical Definition of cetuximab
: an antineoplastic drug that is a genetically engineered monoclonal antibody administered intravenously to slow or inhibit tumor growth in the treatment of colorectal cancer and some forms of head and neck cancer
Note: Cetuximab acts by binding to and inhibiting the activity of a cell membrane receptor for epidermal growth factor and transforming growth factor that is overactive in many cancers. It is marketed under the trademark Erbitux.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game