Medical Definition of cephalhematoma
: a usually benign swelling formed from a hemorrhage beneath the periosteum of the skull and occurring especially over one or both of the parietal bones in newborn infants as a result of trauma sustained during delivery Examination of the newborns, both at delivery and at discharge, did not detect any increase in morbidity (e.g., fractures, cephalhematomas, or hyperbilirubinemia) in the infants of mothers whose labor was actively managed.— José A. López-Zeno et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 13 Feb. 1992
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game