central venous pressurenoun
Medical Definition of central venous pressure
: the venous pressure of the right atrium of the heart obtained by inserting a catheter into a vein (such as the subclavian vein) and advancing it to the right atrium through the superior vena cava Right heart catheterization showed a central venous pressure of 15 mm Hg …— Larry A. Allen et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 6 Feb. 2014 —abbreviation CVP
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?