Medical Definition of cathinone
: an alkaloid C9H11NO found in the leaves of khat that is a stimulant of the central nervous system with pharmacological properties similar to those of amphetamine Khat technically isn't illegal in the U.S.—but the cathinone it contains is.— Colin McDonald, The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 21 June 2007 also : any of various derivatives of this alkaloid "Bath salts" is the street name for a combination of synthetic cathinones, manmade versions of a stimulant found in the khat plant that has been around for ages … — Tammie Smith, The Richmond (Virginia) Times-Dispatch, 8 July 2012 — see bath salts sense 2
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game