Medical Definition of cathinone
: an alkaloid C9H11NO found in the leaves of khat that is a stimulant of the central nervous system with pharmacological properties similar to those of amphetamine Khat technically isn't illegal in the U.S.—but the cathinone it contains is.— Colin McDonald, The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 21 June 2007 also : any of various derivatives of this alkaloid "Bath salts" is the street name for a combination of synthetic cathinones, manmade versions of a stimulant found in the khat plant that has been around for ages … — Tammie Smith, The Richmond (Virginia) Times-Dispatch, 8 July 2012 — see bath salts sense 2
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary in April 2019
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 4/19/19
- Aww it's So 'Adorkable'
- 'MacGyver': The Verb
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game