Medical Definition of cathinone
: an alkaloid C9H11NO found in the leaves of khat that is a stimulant of the central nervous system with pharmacological properties similar to those of amphetamine Khat technically isn't illegal in the U.S.—but the cathinone it contains is.— Colin McDonald, The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 21 June 2007 also : any of various derivatives of this alkaloid "Bath salts" is the street name for a combination of synthetic cathinones, manmade versions of a stimulant found in the khat plant that has been around for ages … — Tammie Smith, The Richmond (Virginia) Times-Dispatch, 8 July 2012 — see bath salts sense 2
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game