variants: or burn unit also burns center or burns unit
Medical Definition of burn center
: a specialized facility usually affiliated with a hospital that provides advanced care and treatment for patients with severe burn Study patients spent an average 18 days in the burn center, with 15 days required for healing after skin grafts.— Katie Tyndall, Insight, 18 May 1987 … is expected to be released today from the burn unit at Tampa General Hospital, where she has been in fair condition since suffering the second-degree burns. — The St. Petersburg (Florida) Times, 9 Sept. 1997
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game