Medical Definition of breathing machine
: a device that assists breathing (as by keeping the air passages open) or maintains artificial respiration He suffers from sleep apnea, so he uses a breathing machine.— Dan Casey, The Roanoke (Virginia) Times, 18 Apr. 2013 The team tried to put her on a breathing machine, but the pond water had damaged her lungs too severely for oxygen to reach her blood.— Atul Gawande, The New Yorker, 10 Dec. 2007
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game