variants: or borna virus or borna disease virus
Medical Definition of bornavirus
: a single-stranded RNA virus (family Bornaviridae) that has a spherical virion with a lipoprotein envelope and chiefly infects the central nervous system of birds and mammals (such as sheep, dogs, and horses) causing mild to fatal disease Bornaviruses, a group of RNA viruses that cause disease in horses and sheep, first inserted their genetic material into ancestral human DNA at least 40 million years ago …— Tina Hesman Saey, Science News, 30 Jan. 2010
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game