body dysmorphic disordernoun
variants: also body dysmorphia
Medical Definition of body dysmorphic disorder
: pathological preoccupation with an imagined or slight physical defect of one's body to the point of causing significant stress or behavioral impairment in several areas (as work and personal relationships) People suffering from body dysmorphic disorder perceive themselves as ugly, fixating on a slight abnormality or an imagined flaw.— Charles Q. Choi, Scientific American, February 2008
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game