Medical Definition of blue-ringed octopus
: any of several venomous octopuses (genus Hapalochlaena) of the Indo-Pacific region that display brilliant blue rings on the skin when alarmed or agitated and are capable of inflicting a fatal bite due to the injection of tetrodotoxin
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game