black hairy tonguenoun
Medical Definition of black hairy tongue
: a dark furry or hairy discoloration of the tongue that is due to hyperplasia of the filiform papillae usually with an overgrowth of microorganisms
— called also blacktongue
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game