Medical Definition of baroreflex
: the reflex mechanism by which baroreceptors regulate blood pressure that includes transmission of nerve impulses from the baroreceptors to the medulla in response to a change in blood pressure and that produces vasodilation and a decrease in heart rate when blood pressure increases and vasoconstriction and an increase in heart rate when blood pressure decreases
— called also baroreceptor reflex
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game