Medical Definition of baroreflex
: the reflex mechanism by which baroreceptors regulate blood pressure that includes transmission of nerve impulses from the baroreceptors to the medulla in response to a change in blood pressure and that produces vasodilation and a decrease in heart rate when blood pressure increases and vasoconstriction and an increase in heart rate when blood pressure decreases
— called also baroreceptor reflex
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game