medical Definition of barbotage
- spinal block anesthesia accomplished by intrathecal barbotage
- A saline washing (bladder barbotage) can be performed, and the washings can be evaluated to identify malignant cells.
- —Hunter Wessells and Bruce L. Dalkin, in NMS Surgery, 5th edition, 2008
- Turbulence is created by rapid injection, barbotage (the repeated aspiration and reinjection of small amounts of CSF mixed with drug), coughing, and excessive patient movement.
- —Jason M. Lewis and May C. M. Smith, in Clinical Anesthesia Procedures of the Massachusetts General Hospital, 8th edition, 2010