Medical Definition of axolemma
: the plasma membrane of an axon For a short time after the passage of a nerve impulse along a nerve fiber, while the axolemma is still depolarized, a second stimulus, however strong, is unable to excite the nerve. — Richard S. Snell, Clinical Neuroanatomy, 7th edition, 2010 At these gaps called nodes of Ranvier, the plasma membrane of the axon (the axolemma) is exposed to the extracellular space for about 0.5 mm. — Eric R. Kandel et al., Principles of Neural Science, 4th edition, 2000
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?