Medical Definition of avobenzone
: a chemical compound C20H22O3 that absorbs UVA radiation and is used as an ingredient in sunscreens Avobenzone is the most widely used ingredient to absorb UVA, the type of ultraviolet light that contributes to skin cancer and aging of the skin, but it degrades in sunlight, so it has to be combined with other ingredients to be effective.— Susan Carpenter, The Los Angeles Times, 27 June 2010 Look for sunblocks and you shouldn't have any problem finding avobenzone (aka Parsol 1789), titanium dioxide, or zinc oxide. — Harvard Health Letter, September 2001
Note: Avobenzone is marketed under the trademark Parsol.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game