Medical Definition of autotransfuse
1 : to return (blood) to a patient's circulatory system after it is taken from or lost by the same patient If possible shed blood should be collected and autotransfused back into the patient, although autotransfusion remains controversial for patients with vascular injuries of the abdomen and concomitant gastrointestinal injuries. — Peter P. Lopez and Enrique Ginzberg, in Surgery: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence, 2008
2 : to subject (a patient) to autotransfusion He plans to give patients 3 L of Ringer's lactate during surgery, or if necessary, autotransfuse them.— Mark L. Fuerst, The Journal of the American Medical Association, 10 June 1983
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game