Medical Definition of autotransfuse
1 : to return (blood) to a patient's circulatory system after it is taken from or lost by the same patient If possible shed blood should be collected and autotransfused back into the patient, although autotransfusion remains controversial for patients with vascular injuries of the abdomen and concomitant gastrointestinal injuries. — Peter P. Lopez and Enrique Ginzberg, in Surgery: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence, 2008
2 : to subject (a patient) to autotransfusion He plans to give patients 3 L of Ringer's lactate during surgery, or if necessary, autotransfuse them.— Mark L. Fuerst, The Journal of the American Medical Association, 10 June 1983
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game