Medical Definition of automaticity
: the capacity of a cell to generate an action potential spontaneously without an external stimulus Atrial tachycardias due to abnormal automaticity or triggered activity are particularly difficult to abolish with antiarrhythmic drugs.— Leonard I. Ganz and Peter L. Friedman, The New England Journal of Medicine, 19 Jan. 1995 All adult cardiac myocytes can respond to electrical stimuli and conduct action potentials, but the working cells of the atria and ventricles generally lack automaticity … — Arnold M. Katz, Physiology of the Heart, 5th edition, 2011
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?