variants: also auditory area or auditory center
Medical Definition of auditory cortex
: a sensory area of the temporal lobe associated with the organ of hearing They have found that the auditory cortex is divided into separate fields that process sound information in a hierarchical fashion.— Carol Ezzell, Scientific American, March 2000
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game