Medical Definition of atopic dermatitis
: a chronic, eczematous skin condition that primarily affects children, is marked especially by intense itching, inflammation, and xerosis, and occurs chiefly in those with a personal or familial history of atopy The hallmarks of atopic dermatitis are a chronic, relapsing form of skin inflammation, a disturbance of epidermal-barrier function that culminates in dry skin, and IgE-mediated sensitization to food and environmental allergens.— Thomas Bieber, The New England Journal of Medicine, 3 Apr. 2008 —abbreviation AD
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game