Medical Definition of atherothrombosis
: the formation of a blood clot within an artery as a result of atherosclerosis As with any drug used to prevent atherothrombosis, vascular events are frequent among patients treated with aspirin or other antiplatelet drugs, and this phenomenon is sometimes described as treatment failure.— Carlo Patrono et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 1 Dec. 2005
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game