Medical Definition of astrovirus
: any of a family (Astroviridae) of single-stranded RNA viruses that infect vertebrates causing gastroenteritis in humans and especially children We conclude that astroviruses are medically important agents of gastroenteritis that produce clinical findings similar to those caused by rotavirus infection.— John E. Herrmann et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 20 June 1991
Note: Astroviruses have a spherical virion with no lipid envelope. The surface structure often appears star-shaped with five or six points when viewed with an electron microscope.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game