medical Definition of astroglia
- Another cell type, astroglia, helps pattern the brain in fetal development and is later involved in synaptic activity.
- —Sandra Blakeslee, The New York Times, 8 Feb. 2005
- They point to possible problems in uptake of the chemical glutamate by specific neuroglial cells, called astroglia, leading to nerve cell injury and subsequent nerve cell death.
- —Cat Watch, March 1998
astroglialplay \-əl\ adjective
- These results indicate that astroglial gap junctions provide an activity-dependent intercellular pathway for the delivery of energetic metabolites from blood vessels to distal neurons.
- —Nathalie Rouach et al., Science, 5 Dec. 2008