Medical Definition of astroglia
: glial tissue composed of astrocytes Another cell type, astroglia, helps pattern the brain in fetal development and is later involved in synaptic activity.— Sandra Blakeslee, The New York Times, 8 Feb. 2005 They point to possible problems in uptake of the chemical glutamate by specific neuroglial cells, called astroglia, leading to nerve cell injury and subsequent nerve cell death. — Cat Watch, March 1998
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game