Medical Definition of aseptic meningitis
: meningitis not caused by a bacterial infection that is of the milder type typically caused by any of numerous viruses In humans, the West Nile virus can cause encephalitis, a fatal swelling of the brain, and aseptic meningitis, a swelling of the lining of the brain and spinal cord.— Vaishali Honawar, The Washington Times, 4 Oct. 2000 Among patients assessed for postoperative meningitis, aseptic meningitis as a result of the local inflammatory reaction to blood breakdown products may account for up to 70% of cases.— Diederik van de Beek et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 14 Jan. 2010
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game