Medical Definition of aseptic meningitis
: meningitis not caused by a bacterial infection that is of the milder type typically caused by any of numerous viruses In humans, the West Nile virus can cause encephalitis, a fatal swelling of the brain, and aseptic meningitis, a swelling of the lining of the brain and spinal cord.— Vaishali Honawar, The Washington Times, 4 Oct. 2000 Among patients assessed for postoperative meningitis, aseptic meningitis as a result of the local inflammatory reaction to blood breakdown products may account for up to 70% of cases.— Diederik van de Beek et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 14 Jan. 2010
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game