Medical Definition of aprotinin
: a polypeptide with protease-inhibiting properties formerly used to reduce blood loss and preserve platelet function during heart surgery but now withdrawn from use due to safety concerns Based on our data, we therefore believe that additional concern is now warranted regarding the long-term safety of aprotinin among patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery.— Dennis T. Mangano et al., The Journal of the American Medical Association, 7 Feb. 2007
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game