Medical Definition of apotemnophilia
: an overwhelming or obsessive desire to have one or more healthy body parts and especially a limb removed by amputation … the characteristic findings of this fascinating disease clearly distinguish apotemnophilia as a unique paraphilia.— J. Bensler et al., The Southern Medical Journal, July 2003 Some physicians … have publicly asserted the need for formal investigation of the possible neurological underpinnings of apotemnophilia.— Annemarie Bridy, The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, Spring 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game