Medical Definition of apophysitis
: painful inflammation of a bony outgrowth and especially the area of active growth at the end of bone (as of the heel or shin) where a muscle or tendon attaches calcaneal apophysitis Little League elbow is known medically as medial apophysitis … — The Lexington (Kentucky) Herald Leader, 20 June 2006 … he probably has an inflammation of the growth plate along the rim of the pelvis. … This is called a hip flexor apophysitis and actually occurs frequently in young runners.— Doug Cutter, The Richmond (Virginia) Times Dispatch, 22 Jan. 1999
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game