Medical Definition of aortic dissection
: a pathological splitting of the middle layer (media) of the aorta following penetration of blood through the inner layer (intima) Early symptoms of aortic dissection are similar to those of a heart attack: severe, persistent chest pain of sudden onset but with the pain moving to the back and occasionally to the abdomen and hips.— Allen Douma, The Chicago Tribune, 1 Sept. 2002 Aortic dissection classically begins with a tear in the aortic intima that exposes a diseased medial layer to the systemic pressure of intraluminal blood. — Eric M. Isselbacher, in Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 22nd edition, 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary in April 2019
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 4/19/19
- Aww it's So 'Adorkable'
- 'MacGyver': The Verb
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game