Medical Definition of anxiety hysteria
: an anxiety disorder and especially a phobia when the mental aspects of anxiety are emphasized over any accompanying physical symptoms (as heart palpitations and breathlessness) —used especially in Freudian psychoanalytic theory In conversion hysteria the affect of the repressed complexes is drafted into bodily innervation and produces the physical symptoms of the disease. In anxiety hysteria the affect remains in the mental sphere, producing there various phobias.— Smith Ely Jelliffe and William Alanson White, Disease of the Nervous System, 1915
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game